Movie Review Paper Writing: Key Points
The significance of writing a movie review for students is well known by the teaching staff in difference educational institutions. Preparing such types of writing assignments broadens their imagination, develop their creativity, and assists in displaying various skills and talents that they acquired during their studying at colleges or universities. Thus, they have become very widely assigned written tasks in the academic writing world.
Completing a movie review cannot be compared to writing a book review. In both cases, a student should consider the work from all the angles, make emphasis on diverse stylistic devices, characteristics of the plot, as well as main heroes. Such types of writing assignments require sophisticated knowledge of the cinema world, and facts relating to a movie itself and the genre, which it belongs. A student should be very focused on every detail of the movie even those ones that seem to be meaningless at first sight.
When you should analyze the chosen movie, you should first watch it very attentively and carefully. This assists you in widening your perception of the movie industry in general. You can notice that it is a complicated assignment to shoot a fascinating movie so that you will be able to feel more respect for the people involved in the movie creation. Moreover, you will be able to discover a novel genre or an outstanding film-director or producer whose works are worth watching. This can make a movie fan of a different movie genre that you have not been familiar with before.
How to Write a Review Essay on a Movie
Consider that each movie review should comprise such essential parts, which will be dwelt on in the following sub-sections. In your review, you should make emphasis as what value has the chosen movie for you and the world of cinematography in general, how it can impact your progress in academic learning, as well as present your personal opinion of the movie under analysis. Do not forget that you should be very careful with presenting your personal considerations on the movie. Try to avoid using such phrases as "I expected this movie to be," or "I think…" etc. Your review should not be biased and objective.
What Makes a Good Movie Review?
Several essential points that you should consider while working on creating your movie review. They are as follows:
What is the movie title? – Even if you indicated the title of the movie chosen or set in the title of your review, it does not mean that you ought not to repeat it one more time again within your paper. The most suitable place to do this is the introductory part of your movie review. Many students avoid or forget paying attention to such essential moments, considering that it is not of great significance. However, some teachers or professors can perceive it as a huge mistake.
The plot – Without doubt, one of the essential things that you should do is to present a summary of the film for those people that are unfamiliar with it. In order to do this in the best way possible, take into account that your professor or teacher who will read your paper is also one of such people. Be very careful with and attentive to all details you indicate; try to display them with all attention possible. Your aim is to present each event that occurred in the film and to write if the film-director or actors managed to present in a movie worthy of the attention or not of audience. However, be careful with presenting your personal considerations about the movie in case you feel tempted to apply such things as "I hated it" or "I like it" as they can sound very unviable. Try to support each statement with pieces of evidence or proofs.
The director or producer – An important part of the analysis is the one related to the movie creator. Write on the style of a moviemaker or producer, her /her political / social agenda or any controversies concerning his/her personality. What are her / his most significant impacts? Is the movie related to any previous works completed by the same moviemaker or producer? Take into account that each movie bears a remarkable mark of a director or producer who created it.
The significance of the movie within your course – Ponder on what importance the movie has for your academic studying. Is it grounded on any historical events or periods that you can study at your History class? Or, maybe, it is related to some masterpieces of literature that you have read while working on other written tasks? If yes, then how does the movie script correspond to the story / novel presented in the book? The more connections you will be able to find, the more important your review will be in the end.
Creativity – Excellent directors or producers are usually very attentive to the minute details that can trigger the audience imagination, as well as create the deep feeling of a complete submerging into the movie atmosphere. Did the movie director or producer succeed? Did the whole exterior / interior correlate with the historical plot setting? Dwell on the score of the movie. Was the choice of the composer, actors, crew, settings, etc. good?
The cast – Iit is important to write about the main heroes and actors. Do the actors succeed in playing their roles? If you need, you may refer to our film essay example database to see for yourself how your future movie review should look like.
Creating a Movie Review: Important Tips
If your movie review is supposed to become a part of your work in your major, there are specific rules that you should strictly keep. Here are some of movie review essay rules:
- Introduction (the title of the movie, the release date, essential information about the movie).
- The part where you should give a summary the plot of the movie.
- The analysis of the plot elements, such as climax, action, ending, etc.
- The description of the creative part of the movie (actors, script, special effects, camera crew’s work, locations, settings, hidden meanings, scenery, the atmosphere, the mood, historical background.
- Expressing your opinion about the movie (you should provide vivid and supportive examples from the movie.
- Giving a summary (dwelling on failure or success of a movie-director or producer, the significance of the movie within the cinematography industry, the reception of the film by the audience, the movie value, etc.
Try to create an outline for your movie review. This can assist you with the organization of your work. This is very essential if you are eager to create a well-written and well-structured movie review. Consider that our database of the examples of movie review papers is always at your disposal:
The Process of Writing a University or College Movie Review
It is very fascinating to watch a movie and then to discuss it, so even such an assignment can bring you plenty of experience. To make it as much interesting as only possible, stick to our tips and hints:
- Watch a movie for several times. This can assist in memorizing as many significant details. The more useful information and details you present in your review – the better.
- Search through the almighty Internet to collect as much info on the movie as only possible. Focus on the personality of the movie-director / producer, the cast, the crew, the locations / settings, and the movie background.
- Think of the movie as a whole. This can help you get the complete understanding of the movie under your analysis.
- Prepare a clear outline.
- Present your own considerations regarding the movie, its locations, cast, script, crew, etc.
Support each of the statements with clear evidence from the movie. Mistakes that you should avoid:
- Lack of focus on the movie itself – do not write about the cinematography industry in general, the personal life of film-director, actors, producer, the genre traditions, etc. Make emphasis on the piece given.
- Avoid making your review too personal. Avoid writing such things as "I think"? “I consider”, "It appears to me", "I dislike such things as…" as they may influence the objectiveness of your analysis with too personal piece of information.
- Avoid utilizing unreliable or doubtful sources on the movie chosen.
- Avoid expressing your personal consideration without stating why you think in such a way.
- Avoid producing a badly structured movie review.
It will not be very complicated for you to complete a movie review or a movie review blog if you keep to our practical tips, useful hints, and original pieces of advice.